Saturday, August 15, 2009

little red riding hood

my cloak is fastened,
my basket full;
off to grandmother's house i go.
never wondering what may lurk 
in corners and shadows along the way.
i sing and skip and make my way,
innocently observing the wonders of the mysterious wood.
i was warned of diversions,
but this is such a pretty path.
the flowers intoxicate,
the colors entice,
this is certain harmony.
a new friend emerges.
i am eager to play.
this journey is long, 
my basket so heavy,
there can't be anything wrong with innocent conversation.
i always divulge too much.
it's my pure heart that gets the best of me.
the stranger scurries, leaving me alone,
taunting and challenging me in ways i am unfamiliar.
i accept.
i am no coward.
i race,
i burn.
i will not be undone.
i am strong, 
a natural fighter.
i rejoice at my accomplishment
as i enter the comfortable cottage.
sweet satisfaction tickles me,
i am among those that love.
eerie emotions pierce me
as i navigate about the room.
something is out of context.
incorrect.
grandmother.
where are you?
why am i suddenly chilled?
a flash of light,
a fearful cry,
i am swallowed,
consumed.
not so noble,
after all,
this trusting heart that betrays the mind.
how long will i linger
in the pit of one so eager to devour?
when will my rescuer set me free?

No comments: